Catfish, it’s impossible to find an angler, who never tackled a catfish. It is the most common type of fish. That’s why you will find a lot of fillet knife for catfish. But It’s a bit difficult to find the best fillet knife for catfish out of the bunch.
That’s where we come in. Our team of expert has reviewed a lot of knives, and came up with 8 best fillet knife for catfish. Each knife has their individual specialty yet compliments a practical price tag.
Not only this article focuses on products, but you will also find the best way of cleaning catfish whole and filleting. There are also some necessary tips and a question-answer section to satisfy your curiosity.
Top Review Geek verdict
Our goal is to help you decide on a product that has quality and reasonable price range. If you do not have the time to read through the entire article, don’t worry. We have picked our two top fillet knife and placed them in two categories.
|Product Name||Check For Price|
|1. Tuo Cutlery Damascus Fillet Knife||Check for price|
|2. Sashimi Sushi Knife-10 inch||Check for price|
|3. Kitchen Deba Japanese professional fillet knife||Check for price|
|4. Yousunlong 10-inch Sashimi Fish Fillet Knife||Check for price|
|5. KastKing fillet knife and bait knife||Check for price|
|6. Rhinoreto Fishing Fillet Knife||Check for price|
|7. Hunting fishing elite knife set||Check for price|
|8. Buck Silver Creek Folding Fillet Knife||Check for price|
1. Tuo Cutlery Damascus Fillet Knife
Description: When quality and efficiency combine, you get a perfect product. Tuo Cutlery Damascus Fillet Knife has both perfection and precision. The knife is in the premium class and delivers flawless performance. You will be assured by its magnificent craft and ultimate quality.
This knife is forged using state of the art modernized factory, superior tools, and equipment. The knife also goes through more than 100 important steps and standards to ensure premium quality.
You will find this blade has exceptional sharpness. It also retains its edge even after frequent sharpening and usage. Please note that it sharpens well with the whetstone.
The Yanagiba is forged from a single edge grind surrounded by a flat rim. Constructed from 34 layers of Damascus steel ensures high-quality fillet for your catfish. That beautiful water flows Damascus pattern gives the Yanagiba a distinctive look.
You will just love the elegance of the Yanagiba handle. It’s made from black ebony wood. It has an octagonal shape that ensures a comfortable grip and resistant to slip.
It does come with an excellent packet but there isn’t any sheath included. Considering the price tag, the manufacturer should provide one for their upcoming knives.
A very few people buy this due to its high price. Among them, 85% customers appreciate this knife.
Although, a few users have experienced loose handle. ( Should be an isolated issue )
And some said the knife’s sharpness didn’t meet expectation.
You won’t have to put any pressure while filleting catfish fast. Although it might be a bit pricey, with proper care, the knife may last you a lifetime.
2. Sashimi Sushi Knife-10 inch
Description: Another traditional Japanese knife which can slice and dice with ease. Not only you can fillet a catfish, but the knife is also capable of cutting through delicate products with minimal pressure. So, if you are a sushi lover, grab this Sashimi Sushi knife, because it’s specially designed for sushi prepping.
It is, undoubtedly, the sharpest knife I have ever used. The sheer sharpness will allow you to fillet almost any size of catfish and slice the sushi roll without squashing.
The long narrow blade is strong for its thick back. You will find the right-sided bevel helpful upon separating your fillets.
The knife is made of tough stainless steel to ensure strength and sharpness. This long asymmetric blade makes an easy fillet of a catfish. You will feel a perfect balance with this knife, like a Japanese samurai.
If you like a classic and elegant look, then you will find the Sashimi quite appealing. The wooden handle gives the knife a unique characteristic. The handle provides a non-slip grip along with perfect balance.
This is a new blade on the market. And it is starting to impress customers. With almost 100% positive feedback, it would be a foolish decision to pass it by.
Just click add to cart. A product so premium and perfect, with a low price tag. I didn’t think twice on the Sashimi Sushi knife.
3. Kitchen Deba Japanese professional fillet knife
Description: Some knife requires a little bit of practice to get used to. The Deba knife is one of them. I would like to say that if you decide to buy this knife, use it paired with your other thin fillet knife.
Once you understand the balance and required pressure, you will fly through chopping, filleting and prepping from catfish to vegetables.
The 6.5-inch Gyuto is a 5.5 mm thick Deba knife which is known as the traditional Japanese butchering knife. It’s more like a meat cleaver which can be used as a file knife as well.
Many chefs use this knife filleting catfish fast. That single bevel ground edge makes the knife even sharper.
The design features a sharp edge and the flat side is used to separate your slices. Forged from German high-quality stainless steel blade makes it twice as more durable than any other fillet knife.
The knife features an ergonomic g-10 handle that is meticulously made. This military grade handle offers optimal control.
You will feel less tactile response while operating the knife because the taper is a bit bigger towards the tip of the handle. Notice the copper mosaic pin that decorates the center rivet? It will make your knife look more premium.
There only a few feedbacks from the customers. Because the knife is quite new on the market. But, it scored almost 100% customer satisfaction.
Many beginner filleters will avoid using a cleave to slice their fish. I would suggest them to buy this to understand the advantage of a cleave which is practically a multipurpose knife.
4. Yousunlong 10-inch Sashimi Fish Fillet Knife
Description: Yousunlong is gracing the knife manufacturing industry with their superior products for over 10 years. The company continued to produce advanced craftsmanship design to produce the perfect kitchen knife. And the Yousunlong is the result of their innovative dedication.
You will find this know super durable. The VG10 Super Steel is strong with a hardness of 60±2 Rockwell.
There are 33 layers of different hardness stainless steel folded together on each side. You will be able to see the huge of Damascus pattern once it’s reflected in the light.
The durable knife is sharp like a razor, with mirror polished finishing. That’s why food will less likely to stick because of the rutted hammered pattern and dent resistant quality, also it’s easier to wash.
The handle is made of black ebony wood. You will look and feel classy holding it. Don’t let the elegant look fool you. It feels very sturdy in hand and the triangle design enhances slip resistance and a comfortable grip.
The online feedback is a bit confusing. Because it’s a new product. But it satisfied a few customers.
One customer found her wooden sheath warped right out of the box. And a few others weren’t satisfied with the handle assembly.
Other than a few isolated issues with the handle, the knife has a solid overall build quality. It’s super steel combined with ergonomic handle will make sure filleting catfish fast.
5. KastKing fillet knife and bait knife
Description: KastKing has continued to provide practical and premium knives over the year. This time, it produces a line of the blade, which is both cost-effective and powerful. It also comes with the different size option to meet your preference.
I find the look of this blade is quite amazing. That black G 4116 German stainless steel with orange handle looks so cool and futuristic. And don’t let the look deceive you. This knife can keep on going for a long time without losing its edge.
This all-new MadBite lines of knives from KastKing are suitable for both fresh and saltwater fish. You can easily cut bait, fillet catfish in different sizes. These knives are not only sharp but also have that perfect flex.
You won’t have to worry about the knife slip off easily. The knife is very comfortable to hold and that super polymer ensures optimal grip. Even in wet condition, this knife won’t slide off. The color of the handle will remain vibrant even after a frequent wash.
A lightweight and durable protective sheath are included with this knife. The sheath has a safety lock which helps it stuck with the knife handle and release easily when it needs to be used. That open slot design looks cool and convenient. It won’t hold water within.
With an 88% satisfied customers, you can stay confident while buying this knife. There are a few issues though. A few customers found this knife its edge in a few fillets.
And some said that how come German steel is made in China?
I bought the 5-inch bait knife a while back, and honestly, it’s quite good. Of course, it needed some frequent sharpening, but it held it’s edge and I kept on filleting with that till this day. I think you will find this knife quite useful and on top of that, it looks cool.
6. Rhinoreto Fishing Fillet Knife
Description: A knife that is forged after extensive research. The Rhinoreto fillet knife is perfect for filleting catfish fast. The blade is curved, so You won’t have any trouble extracting narrow bones near the corner edge.
The 6.5-inch blade is made of stainless steel and balanced perfectly. It is also corrosion resistant and has the exact amount of flex with a special non-stick coating.
Note that, stainless steel alloy is softer in nature. So it will lose its edge upon frequent usage. That’s why the included sharpener will come handy and it’s very easy to use.
The rubber handle is slip resistant and allows you to have a good grip even in wet condition. It’s large enough to fit in any size hands and help you balance the knife in motion, whether you’re left or right-handed.
Sheath and sharpener
Not only it comes with a well-ventilated sheath, but it also has a sharpener. The sheath will prevent any bad odor by allowing airflow.
The sharpener has an angled ceramic plate in both sides for safer sharpening. Just swipe the blade a couple of times, and you’re good to go.
Due to it’s faster dullness, the overall reputation is not that appealing. But still, the knife managed a 77% positive feedback from customers.
My question, to all the customers out there, the softer nature of the stainless steel will make the knife dull easily. That’s why a sharpener is included, right? So, can’t we just give a few swipes before we use the knife? Or is it a complicated task?
Look, it’s a new knife in an already dominated market where big names are reigning supreme. It’s tough to have a recognition all of a sudden but I strongly believe, the Rhinoreto fillet knife will have a place in our kitchen.
Apart from it’s faster dullness, the look, the color, stylish sheath and easy to use sharpener in less than 20 dollars! I bought it, and I am satisfied, what about you?
7. Hunting fishing elite knife set
Description: You might wonder why we included a knife set in this article. It’s because some of us might be looking for a package deal, where you can get all the necessary knives, from filleting a fish to a duck. It’s also a perfect knife set to gift your loved ones.
The blade is made from stainless steel that offers a longer lifespan. Also, added carbon increase durability and edge retention.
In this set, you will get 2 fillet knife and a serrated knife for cutting bone. This unique sets of blades keep sharpness for a long time.
This product is suitable for camping, hunting, fishing and any other outdoor activities that require a knife. You can also give this as a gift in holiday festivities.
Note that, you will get a carry case, and a free ebook provided by Pro Tactical US. The ebook will be emailed to you within a couple of days after the product is shipped.
8. Buck Silver Creek Folding Fillet Knife
Description: Buck knives are very popular. They produce quality knives at a sustainable price. I would say, this is the best fillet knife for catfish if you are looking for an outdoor fillet knife.
This razor-sharp blade is corrosion resistant and titanium coated. The coating increases its durability and edge retention. You can also sharpen the blade without causing any damage.
It’s a 6 ½ inches flexible blade is convenient to slice through lateral bones meat with optimal balance. No wonder this folding knife has found itself in many anglers tackle box.
The handle is made from rubber for excellent grip and it also houses a groove paired with stainless steel for safety.
It has an excellent customer feedback. About 87% of users have expressed their satisfaction.
But, you might face some issues with the knife folding lock mechanism if you are clumsy.
Also, water tends to hold into the fold space resulting in bad odor and rust. So dry it thoroughly after every fillet.
I’ve been using this knife for one and a half years. I only once had an issue with the folding lock mechanism which I fixed, thanks to my local bladesmith.
Other than that, it’s a pretty darn good knife. What I like most that it can be pocketed regardless you’re fishing or not. That portability is worth every penny.
From pond to the pan ( A complete guide to clean and fillet )
You will need to clean your catfish before slicing and dicing. But without the right technique, the task can be strenuous. So let’s see the steps of skinning and cleaning catfish whole. Just follow these 3 steps.
- Start making shallow tilted cuts behind the gills on either side that leads to the stomach. Just cut behind the gills at a 45- degree angle towards the head using a fillet knife. Keep the cut within ⅛ – ¼ inch deep for easier skin removal. Then connect the two cuts by cutting around the bottom of the head.
- Slice through the base of the head, and drag the knife down to the fish’s body. Again, make a thin cut just to break through the skin. The depth should be no more than ⅛-¼ inch.
- After reaching the top fin or dorsal fin, cut around it rather than go straight through it and finish your cut at the end of the tail.
- Again cut a ⅛-¼ inch deep along the belly, starting at the cut made around the head. Glide the knife towards the tail finishing the cut where that fin starts.
- Locate the area where the scales stop and fins begin on the fish’s tail. Cut from the spine to the belly maintaining that ⅛-¼ inch depth. Make sure the cut connects with the other two cuts.
- Use your finger to peel a portion of the skin big enough to be clutch with a pair of pliers. Make sure to grab a large piece of skin and use the whole surface area of your pliers.
- Now hold down on to the cat fish’s head and carefully pull the skin slowly away from the head towards the tail. Make sure the skin doesn’t rip or break. Once you reach the tail the skin should be easy to pull it off the fish. Use the same method again to the other side.
- Take out the intestines
- Push the head towards the spine of the catfish and snap the neck. Then position the head back in place and start twisting. As you are twisting, remove it by pulling away from the body.
- Either use a scissor or a fillet knife to remove fins and the tail. Cut close to the baseline of the fin for a full removal, but beware not to cut off the meat along.
- Now make a straight cut in the stomach and remove the intestines with your fingers starting on the side closest to the tail.
- Cleaning catfish whole thoroughly with water and remove blood as much as possible. Then gently pat the fish with a paper towel.
- Filleting the fish
- Use the tip of the fillet knife to separate meat from the bones. Gently drag the knife around the rib cage from the head towards the tail. Then place the knife in between the spine and push it into the fish as it continues to fillet and comes out of the stomach. Now slowly cut towards the tail once you see the tip of the knife through the belly.
- Now lift the tail of the fillet and slice through the bottom of the fish connected to the fillet. You have your first fillet.
- Now repeat the same technique on the remaining side. You need to work slowly, cause if not, a large portion of meat could be wasted.
A few tips
- Avoid using a dull knife.
- Beware of the sharp barb on the end of the dorsal fin, it could be poisonous depending on the species.
- During skinning, avoid cutting too deep. Because deep cuts might puncture internal organs
- Twist the pliers to get a better grip and loosen more skins.
- Wear gloves if possible, if not then avoid getting hurt from the fish’s whiskers when placing your hand on the head.
- If you are not used to the twisting method for cutting the head, use a butchering knife instead.
- Use nitrile gloves if you don’t like to touch fishes.
- Use cold water to clean the fish.
- A smaller catfish is better for cooking whole.
- Avoid putting your finger on the fish where you are planning to poke with the knife.
Top Review Geek digest
In this article, we have tried to present the best fillet knife for catfish, in the best possible way. It’s not very tricky to find a catfish. But, it certainly demands a skillful technique for a perfect fillet. But, I am confident that you now understand the in-depth details after reading our “ From pond to the pan “ section.
We also tried to cover all the necessary tips and answers to some basic, yet useful questions. Our goal is to help you decide, not only on a product but also the right way to use it.