The knife is one of the most essential commodity in our household. For years, it has evolved to meet modern demands. Knife, a tool that debuted nearly 4000 years ago. And today it has gone electrical. An electric knife has made it easier and speedier to cut, slice and chop regular foods. But when it comes to maintenance and sharpen electric knife blades, some of us turn our heads cluelessly.
But not anymore fellow kitchen adventurer. There is a common kitchen tale, that your electric fillet knife cannot be sharpened. But that’s not entirely true. Electric knife stays sharp for a long time compared to a conventional fillet knife because of their serrated edge. So a little effort to sharpen it will return the blade into its optimal form. Today, I will try my best to enlighten you the proper and efficient way to sharpen electric fillet knife blades.
What is an electric fillet knife?
An electric fillet knife is generally a tool that helps you slice and fillets your fish or poultry with mechanical pressure. Some knife has a rechargeable battery while some are more like plug and play. The electric knife produces more precision slice with less or no physical pressure. The device has two serrated blades that are pinned together and vibrate by a small electric motor.
The electric knife was invented by Jerome L. Murray. The knife was patented in 1964 and since then it started to find its way into the kitchen across the globe.
This kind of knife is vastly used for slicing meat, especially in a Thanksgiving dinner where the knife defined itself as a cultural iconic tool. The usage of this knife has expanded from a corporate kitchen to the hospital operating room where a smaller version reign supreme. Apart from food, the knife is also used by sculptors and craftsmen to cut wood, metal, and foam rubber. Filleting electric knife is not very popular among professional chefs but for the normal family usage, this knife is nothing short of a blessing.
Use Electric knife sharpener
To keep your electric fillet knife in working condition, proper sharpening is a must. The process of sharpening the electric knife varies from the regular knife. There are tools that make the sharpening much easier and hassle-free. Although, it’s up to you if you want to sharpen your knife manually or automatically.
Electric or manual, regardless of your choice, both process is capable to properly sharpen the serrated edge pretty well. But I would suggest you use an electric sharpener. You just have to know the system to sharpen electric fillet knife blades.
If you buy a sharpener that is capable to sharpen both electric and traditional serrated fillet knife, you will save a lot of money. This kind of sharpener will take care both your bait and fillet knives.
A blunt knife could be a catastrophe waiting to happen. A sharp knife is safer and easier to cut through foods and object with little effort. On the other hand, a blunt knife is unpredictable and prone to frequent slippage. So, during the sharpening process of your electric fillet knife, beware not to touch apart from the bottom flat part of the blade.
We all know that the Whetstone sharpener is far better than other forms of sharpening tools, but if u try the diamond edge electric sharpener, than I’m sure that it will impress you.
With an electric knife sharpener, you simply have to hold the knife to the sharpening slot and slide it slowly from tip to bottom edge. One other major precaution, be sure that the product you’re buying is right to sharpen electric fillet knife blades. If not then you might damage the single most unique characteristics that set it apart from a conventional fillet knife, serrated edge. Damaging that zigzag could render your knife useless. Because when you are sharpening a serrated edges knife, you can sharpen each serration with the all-around tapered rod if you want that finishing touches.
Additional safeguards include
- Electric or any sort of knife is not well suited for a person with reduced physical, sensory and mental capabilities or lack of experience and knowledge. Note that this can be hazardous for that user and others.
- Keep the knife away from the children.
- Don’t come into contact with the moving parts while the knife is switched on.
- Switch off the knife before sharpening and cleaning process.
- Do not use the knife if you are distracted.
- Immediately unplug after every usage.
- Do not operate the knife with a broken cord or facing malfunction.
- Do not let the cord hung over the edge of the work surface or let it touch any hot surface.
- Always use manufacturer recommended attachments.
- To avoid being shocked, don’t immerse the knife into water or any other forms of liquid and don’t operate it with a wet hand. For accidental drop into the water, remove the plug immediately, and for a cordless fillet knife, use your chopping board or other objects (which do not have any electrical conductivity) to retrieve the knife out of the water and then carefully switch it off.
- Be careful upon removal of each blade for maintenance, sharpening or cleaning purpose.
- Do not attempt to disable any safety switches( if your knife has any)
After you complete the process to sharpen electric fillet knife blades, it’s imperative to wash and clean your blades to achieve optimal maintenance. Please follow that process below step by step. And please don’t start a conversation with your family member unless you have muscle memorized the entire procedure.
- Switch off the knife and let it rest for a moment if you are looking to sharpen and clean it right after an operating session.
- Remove the cord or battery pack from the knife for further precaution.
- Get a squared bowl and place each blade separate from other utensils.
- Fill the sink with soapy water and grab one knife at a time for a thorough washing.
- If you drop your knife in the sink, please be careful when you are trying to retrieve.
- Then rinse the blades with clean water removing all the soap suds.
- Then carefully wipe clean and dry the blade.
- Carefully put the blades back into the knife’s electric slots in an orderly fashion.
The entirety of this article is focused on providing you with all the relevant and connecting information regarding how to properly sharpen your electric fillet knife blades. For those who are wondering whether you can sharpen your electric knife blade using a whetstone, I would say no, you can’t. Just invest in a quality electric sharpener compatible with electric knife blades and or for manual sharpening, follow the steps as I mentioned above in the article.
Handling any sharp object requires ultra attention, so, whether you are engaging to sharpen electric fillet knife blades, or just simply slicing and filleting a piece of meat or a fish, or just merely slicing of an orange, please focus on your action. I don’t want you to lose something irreplaceable just because you couldn’t manage your stress.